THE KEESHOND CLUB OF AMERICA - CODE OF ETHICS
A Guide For Breeders And Owners Of Keeshonden
This Code of Ethics has its primary goal the welfare of the breed and the manner in which those people conduct themselves.
AN ETHICAL BREEDER CONDUCTS HIS/HER ACTIVITIES AS FOLLOWS:
- The breeder conscientiously plans each litter based on the parent's appropriate temperament, freedom from congenital and hereditary defects, and
qualities in relation to the breed's A.K.C. approved official standard. Before deciding to produce a litter, the breeder considers the obligations of properly
placing or providing for all the puppies.
- VOLUME BREEDING is not in the best interest of the breed. The breeder takes care to plan the SPACING OF LITTERS so that puppies, under the age
of six months, bred by him or her are not consistently available. The breeder and stud dog owner verify in writing that the parents' patellas have been
pronounced normal and that hip x-rays have been cleared by a veterinarian specializing in the field of orthopedics or radiology, or through a national
registry such as the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals.
- The breeder breeds only healthy, mature Keeshonden over one and one-half years of age and after preliminary or certified x-rays. Bitches should have
no more than two litters in any 18 month period and no bitch should be bred after the age of eight years. No male should be used for breeding before one
and one-half years of age. ALL Keeshonden purchased as pets are required to be spayed or neutered. All unneutered bitches and dogs are safeguarded
from unplanned matings. All the breeder's stock is kept under sanitary conditions and given maximum health protection through worming, inoculation,
and proper veterinary care at all times. Whenever a person is entrusted with the care of another person's dog, utmost effort must be made for the care,
protection, and well-being of the dog.
- The breeder registers all breeding stock and keeps accurate records of matings and pedigrees in accordance with American Kennel Club requirements.
- The breeder does not sell, consign, or lease puppies or adults to pet shops or any commercial establishment, broker, distributor or wholesaler and
words any contract so that purchasers or lessees will not do so either. The breeder does not supply Keeshonden for raffles, "giveaway" prizes or other
such projects or consignments even in non-commercial instances. By setting a reasonable price for young puppies, the breeder upholds the value of the
breed. Adults and puppies are given first class care and therefore cannot be sold at a low price.
- The breeder sells Keeshonden, permits stud service, and leases studs or bitches only to individuals who have demonstrated that they will give them
proper care and attention, and who are in written agreement with this Code of Ethics. The breeder makes available to the novice the benefit if his or her
advise and experience. The breeder requires adherence to this Code of Ethics and to the Keeshond Club of America's Recommended Practices for
Breeders, Exhibitors, and Owners in all transactions.
- All puppies leaving the breeder's possession are at least seven weeks of age. All new owners are provided with written details on feeding, general
care, dates of worming and inoculations and a four generation pedigree.
- Written contracts are provided and signed by all parties to all sales and other transactions prior to physical transfer of the animal. These contracts
specifiy how the breeder will honor a refund or replacement which may be necessary because of unforeseen health problems or other circumstances.
Contracts that require puppies back as part of the purchase price of the bitch, whether the arrangements are an outright purchase or co-ownership of the
bitch to satisfy the purchase price should not require puppies back after the bitch's first normal litter, the size of which is to be defined in the contract.
At the completion of the transfer of these above mentioned puppies, the dam's breeder will deliver to the purchaser all forms necessary for the completion
of the transaction. NOTE: Under American Kennel Club rules (Chapter 3, Section 6) all such forms MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUPPLIED by all parties
to the transactions, unless they have agreed otherwise in writing. Terms for co-ownership for either dogs or bitches between KNOWLEDGEABLE breeders
must be clearly stated in the contract and must be mutually favorable to both parties. Breeding arrangements NEVER involve the breeding of a pet quality
dog or bitch.
- All the breeder's advertising is factual. It neither offers Keeshonden at cheap prices, nor is it worded so as to attract undesirable buyers, or to
encourage producing Keeshonden as a money making enterprise. Advertising relating to show wins or producing accomplishments must be precise and
factual and should not imply achievements that are not accurate.
- The Breeder or Owner at all times behaves in a sportsmanlike manner such as to reflect positively on the sport of showing dogs and Keeshond breed
- When confronted by a situation not covered by this Code of Ethics, the breeder's conduct reflects how he or she would like to be treated under similar
Keeshonden are outstanding in temperament - outgoing, and uncommonly loyal and devoted. Those involved with this breed should reflect theses qualities
in return and be known as uncommonly good to their dogs and considerate of each other.
The Buyer and Seller have thoroughly read and understood and agree to abide by
this Code of Ethics as witnessed by the signatures below:
Signature of Buyer / Date
Signature of Seller / Date
This document was last updated: 01/22/96